Libercraft Map Railway Project

Official Community Projects are listed here!

Libercraft Map Railway Project

Postby andship56 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:36 pm

Hello everyone on the Libercraft server,

NotAndship here. I wanted to propose a quite large community project and wanted to see if any libercrafters had any opinions or suggestions that they would like to express. Me, Pizza, and Rose have been discussing an idea to build a massive railway system around the server as a main method of transportation to other players' bases. Now I know you might say, we have a nether hub where people can just link portals and explore through there. However, due to the lack of labeled nether portals that connect to each players' base as well as the lack of tunnels towards these nether portals, I believe that this alternative solution might be easier. The plan (not final-planning phase) that I wanted to propose is to create either an underground or sky railway that has stations in spawn. This would require quite a lot of rails and powered rails so if this plan goes through, donations are welcome! I do have an iron farm and willing to use it, but we will need all the help we can get. If this project is approved, I am planning to make a survey asking each player who wants to be involved in building or just a list of people willing to link up their base to the railway. The survey will probably require your base's basic coordinates and where you want a small station to be located. If the plan goes through, I want to express the need for builders for this project. The railway project will not serve to transport players but allow other players to appreciate the many player builds that are scattered across libercraft. I would like the railway to be aesthetically pleasing so that everyone can enjoy their journey. So, if anyone has some type of themes/ideas they would like to incoporate into this aspect, please contact me or pizza (probably me, pizza is too busy). Overall, if you have any questions please ask them in this topic and I will try to answer as much as I can.

Thanks,
NotAndship
andship56

Minecraft Nick: NotAndship

Re: Libercraft Map Railway Project

Postby Pizzanakin » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:32 pm

hey,

Since you discussed the idea with me + I talked about it with staff, I'm sure it can be approved as it is! And since you mentioned the nether hub, I would also like to add that a train track will be a more scenic route. If you want efficiency, you can use the nether, but if you want to see nice places on the server, you can take the train!

A few suggestions:
Let players reply in this topic if they want to have their base connected, that way it's easier to see for people who are participating in the project.

I would also suggest to keep the track on the surface level, and make it adapt to the terrain (or adapt the terrain to the tracks when necessary :p). It might take a bit more work than a sky track, but it's definitely gonna be easier than a tunnel track.
I also feel that this option is the easiest to make it look good. If you are thinking about a sky track, you'd have to have something like pillars reaching all the way to the surface if you want to make it look realistic. Also you'd be causing shadows on the ground below. And with a tunnel track you don't see anything.

People should indeed send their ideas to you, but I'm always willing to give feedback to ideas once they're formed.
Pizzanakin
Server Administrator

Minecraft Nick: Pizzanakin

Postby ABJL » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:50 pm

Would definitely like it to go past my base. Great idea! :)
To realise the unimportance of time is the gate of wisdom.
-Bertrand Russell

Instagram @cloudlaane (aerial photos, scenic views, nature pictures)
ABJL
Server Administrator

Minecraft Nick: ABJL

Postby JoFashi » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:43 pm

Hytack Province is in!
"I'm not dense, I'm just compact."
-Josh 2015
JoFashi

Minecraft Nick: TackyTim

Postby kaikeishi » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:51 pm

This sounds like a cool project! I am more than willing to help and donate for this project :) - Wabbaaj
kaikeishi

Minecraft Nick: kai

Postby ArreisRose » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:57 pm

I (ArreisRose) will definitely have my base be a part of this, and I'd also be happy to help with the building and some of the landscaping (will do as much as I can)! :D
My base is at these cords:

XYZ: -460/ 89/ 854
ArreisRose

Minecraft Nick: ArreisRose

Postby Hyradd » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:51 pm

As mentioned above, Hytack will take part in this project.

I have a tunnel from spawn to Hytack (it's underground at Y30, so it's high enough not to dig into people's tripmine, but low enough not to dig trough people's undeground bases).

However we can do it aboveground too, maybe get a poll involved where people can choose aboveground or below.
If my cat was a cow... I wouldn't have to buy any more milk
Hyradd
Server Moderator

Minecraft Nick: Hyradd

Postby Pizzanakin » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:40 am

tbh I feel like underground really destroys the purpose of this track.

if you want it to be intended for quickly traveling long distances, it would be better to use the nether. you aren't gonna get any nice views, but you'll be there quickly.

so if you're also gonna do that for the train, no one will use it because the nether is a better alternative.

keeping it above ground gives it a different purpose :thumbup:
Pizzanakin
Server Administrator

Postby Hyradd » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:19 pm

What if...

We build a huge railway station near spawn. 4 main railroads will go North, East, South & West.
People can attach their own rails on these main railroads and can choose however the railroads will go to their own house?

Make smaller railway stations on the 4 main railroads so people can connect their rails there.
If my cat was a cow... I wouldn't have to buy any more milk
Hyradd
Server Moderator

Minecraft Nick: Hyradd

Postby Pizzanakin » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:17 pm

that sounds like a cool idea! :mrgreen:

does anyone know if it is possible to make track switching systems? it'd be cool to use those as well
Pizzanakin
Server Administrator

Next

Return to Community Projects