Across a line from my face to the target
80%
Across a line from my hand to the target
20%

Total votes : 5

Poll about shooting spells

Postby Pizzanakin » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:43 am

Hey,

I want to have a small poll about how I should make the mechanics for my spells. There are two possible options, and I want to use the one that you guys prefer.

The current way that spells are shot, is like this: When you right click, it detects the point where you are looking at. Then it calculates a line from this point to the hand that you are casting the spell from. Then it shoots the spell on this line. What this means is that the spell doesn't follow the direct line from your face to where you are looking, but it will still target the same location.

This behaviour has certain advantages and disadvantages. It is easier to position the arm somewhere that you couldn't normally reach. However it can also happen that the arm appears to be behind a block while you don't notice, which means that when you shoot the spell it will hit that block and fail.

Another option for shooting spells could be to change it so that it comes directly from your face (with a little distance between your face and where the spell actually starts so that your vision isn't blocked) so that it will always go directly like how you are looking at your target.
With this option, I would make it so that for all other players it still appears as if the spell comes from your hand, however the actual trajectory of the spell is how the caster sees it. This minor diffrence in appearance is completely visual and shouldn't affect the game that much.
Pizzanakin
Server Moderator

Minecraft Nick: Pizzanakin

Re: Poll about shooting spells

Postby monohymn » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:19 pm

Now explain how arrows work in the game so we have a point of reference to compare it to.
monohymn
Donator

Minecraft Nick: monohymn

Postby Pizzanakin » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:51 pm

what do you mean? arrows work very different from my spells.
Pizzanakin
Server Moderator

Postby monohymn » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:46 pm

So arrows don't shoot from your face or your hand? Are you going to make me actually log into Minecraft to check this out?
monohymn
Donator

Minecraft Nick: monohymn

Postby Pizzanakin » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:47 pm

II don't know the specifics of how arrows shoot, but the way that spells shoot isn't based off of how arrows shoot.
Pizzanakin
Server Moderator

Return to Server Suggestions